Everyone knows stress can do some crazy things to your health and overall well-being, but did you know high stress can also cause your body to store more fat, particularly belly fat? According to researchers at Yale, the stress hormone known as cortisol is the culprit responsible it. While you cannot magically make your stress disappear, you can eat certain foods to counteract the effects of the cortisol it produces.
Below is a list of some vitamin C packed foods that can battle the fat-storing effect of cortisol:
- Cherries: This sweet and tart fruit is largely made up of water, making them fulfilling and low in calories. For every cup of cherries you eat, you receive about a quarter’s worth of your daily vitamin C intake.
- Cranberries: Most people only think of cranberries when they want to fight a UTI, but this low-sugar fruit is also high in vitamin C and could make a nice addition to a smoothie or salad.
- Asparagus: This vegetable not only contains vitamin C, it is also rich in the amino acid known as tryptophan, which stimulates serotonin, a mood booster.
- Blueberries: If asparagus is not quite palatable to your taste buds, here is another sweet treat you should add to your grocery list. Blueberries are not as effective at fighting off cortisol, but they are excellent at boosting brain power, lowering blood pressure, and quashing hunger pangs.
- Raspberries: If you have not already noticed, berries are incredibly good for you. A cup of raspberries has over half of your day’s vitamin C intake. They are also packed with antioxidants, insoluble fiber, and are immensely effective at reducing fat-causing inflammation.
- Sweet Potatoes: Most people who are concerned about their diet and weight are often terrified of potatoes. Sweet potatoes are actually low on the glycemic index and high in fiber. Their antioxidants are also great for stabilizing blood sugar levels and lowering insulin resistance, which helps prevent calories from being converted into fat.
- Red Cabbage: Try adding shredded red cabbage to a salad, or consider boiling it to unlock its antioxidants. Either way, you are going to reap some serious benefits from including this in your diet.
- Cauliflower: As a nutrient-dense, low-calorie food, cauliflower can do more than fight off the effect of cortisol, it can also be the perfect stand-in for starchy foods. For example, you could mash it up and have mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, allowing you to enjoy a similar texture and taste that is also seriously low in calories.
Louisiana Weight Loss Programs
Losing weight is not always as simple as changing your diet, especially if the diet is not manageable for the long-term. If you are experiencing difficulties losing weight and keeping it off, the professionals at Soza Weight Loss in Louisiana offer exceptional programs that are specifically tailored to your own unique needs and goals, using safe and all-natural methods.
Get started on achieving the body you have always wanted and call any of our four convenient weight loss clinics today t (504) 475-9817 to schedule a consultation.