For those who avoid running view it as an exhausting and painful form of exercise which is only used effectively for losing weight or getting in shape. However, there are multiple benefits which can improve your mood and even lengthen your life span. While it may seem like a tedious task for some people, knowing the positive benefits of running may cause you to finally turn the corner.
The five benefits of running as part of your daily routine include the following:
- Improved brain performance. Exercise increases the flow of oxygen-rich blood throughout our bodies, including our brains. This constant blood flow through the brain enables us to maintain or even improve cognition, attention span and memory.
- Reduces risk of cancer. It’s been proven that running can help prevent cancer. However, if you already have cancer, running can actually improve your quality of life while undergoing chemotherapy.
- Running strengthens your bones and joints. If someone told you that “running is bad for your knees,” don’t take it to heart. In fact, it actually improves knee health.
- Improve your mood. If you’re having a bad day, running will boost your endocannabinoids (the brain chemicals which signal pleasure) and make you feel positive.
- Add three years to your life. People who run regularly are found to live an average of three years longer than those who don’t. It could be as simple as running for five minutes, or even walking for 15 minutes.
For more information, contact our weight loss clinic today. We have weight loss centers in Harvey, Metairie, and Covington.