As Americans, consuming alcohol ingrained in many of our society’s traditions and practices. However, when it comes to weight loss, having alcohol as part of your diet can make it difficult to accomplish your fitness goals. While it is still possible to drink alcohol in moderation and still lose weight, regular or excessive alcohol consumption is a huge no-no.
The following how alcohol can affect your weight:
- Increases intake of calories. Alcohol contains seven calories per gram, nearly twice as many as carbohydrates and protein. These calories lack the essential nutrients necessary to maintain a healthy metabolism. Instead, it speeds up storage of fat in the body.
- Disrupts metabolism. Consuming alcohol obstructs the way your body burns fat through the liver, since the body part metabolizes fat calories in order to convert them into energy. However, upon drinking alcohol, the liver will start to break down the alcohol, instead of fat.
- Boosts appetite. Studies have shown that consuming alcohol before eating may lead to eating more food. Also, it may loosen your inhibitions and make you ignore the consequences of eating the wrong kinds of food.
If you decide to not skip drinking alcohol altogether, tips for moderate drinking include:
- Use plenty of ice
- Drink as much water as possible
- Avoid salty snacks
- Purchase only top shelf products
For more information about losing weight, contact our Harvey weight loss program experts at (504) 475-9817. We also welcome clients from New Orleans, Metairie, Prairieville and Covington, North Shore, South shore, West Bank, Baton Rouge and the surrounding area.