With hot temperatures in full swing, one of the most common summer activities to do with friends or family is swimming. Not only is it a way to cool down from the overbearing heat, but it's also a good workout that's extremely gentle on the joints; making it an easier workout especially those who suffer from bad knees.
Studies also suggest regularly swimming gives people an advantage when achieving both weight loss and long term weight maintenance goals.
The Benefits of Swimming & Weight Loss
Here are a few of the benefits of swimming in regards to losing weight:
- Burns calories. Even when you’re doing light swimming you can burn up to 500 calories an hour. However, with more effort, you can burn up to 700 calories per hour.
- Water provides natural resistance - To generate movement in the pool, pushing against the water offers a resistance that helps the development of more lean muscle mass and contributes to increased metabolism. It is also important to note, swimming can be resistance training for your entire body all at once.
- Not as high intensity compared to other workouts - Aside from not having to sweat profusely in a gym, your joints are supported by the water as opposed to the painful forces of gravity.
- Anti-aging remedy - Studies have shown that swimming benefits the heart and nervous system, as well as improves cognitive abilities.
- A plethora of options - While swimming involves a variety of different strokes to help in losing weight, but there are many other alternative activities that provide a great workout in the water, such as water polo and water aerobics.
If you are looking for an effective weight loss program, contact Soza Weight Loss, and schedule a free consultation today.