Weight loss is never easy, especially if you’re on our own. However, having someone who’s both supportive and tough throughout every step of the way, can help you resist temptations of returning to those bad dieting habits and make sure you stick with your plan.
The qualities to look for in a weight loss buddy includes:
- Someone you like spending time with
- Positive attitude
- Compatible motivation styles
- Similar goals
Whether you join a group weight loss program or find a health-minded companion, studies have shown that working out with another person bolsters healthy competition in order to work harder while reducing stress. However, being committed in this type of relationship is associated with the responsibility to be there for someone else.
The following are five benefits of having a good weight loss partner:
- They will be there when you feel like you’re losing hope. Setbacks are part of the process. When these disappointments occur, it’s easy to give up if there is nobody to supervise your progress. Your buddy can be the key to helping you get back on track after setback.
- Hold you accountable. Whenever you have the urge to blow off a workout or indulge in junk food, you could always make contact with your friend in order to remind you why you embarked on this journey to begin with.
- They are understanding. When you have someone who is going through the same weight loss regiment and the same struggles, it’s comforting to know you aren’t alone. In turn, you could be the one to help motivate them.
- Weight loss becomes fun. The more fun you have, the more you’re going to look forward to and be committed to them long term. Find creative ways to work out and diet for you and your buddy that both of you can enjoy.
- Friendly competition results in better performance. Studies have shown that being paired up with someone during your workouts can maximize motivation.
- Someone to celebrate with. Once you accomplish major milestones, like running your first 5k or hitting your halfway mark, your peers will commend your efforts and hard work. However, your buddy will also be there to celebrate those small details, like controlling your portions when you go out to eat or going to the gym despite a storm.
For more information, contact our weight loss clinic to schedule your free consultation.