Sugar cravings are one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome In the United States, our average diet consists of an abundance of sugar. While this substance may seem sweet, high intake of sugar in your daily diet contribute to weight gain, diabetes, cavities, and a host of other health problems. Despite the harmful effects of sugar, it’s difficult to completely cut out sugar due to its addictive properties. However, it’s important to understand that significantly cutting out sugar in your diet is crucial to being successful in losing weight.
The following are ways to curb your sugar cravings in order to fulfill your weight loss goals:
- Increase serotonin levels. Serotonin contributes to feeling happiness, which sugar helps boost. However, if you diet, exercise, and sleep properly and regularly, your serotonin levels will be adequately maintained, resulting in less sugar cravings.
- Drink plenty of water. If you feel like your body is craving sugar, perhaps it’s actually telling you it’s dehydrated.
- Refrain from processed foods. Processed foods lack the vitamins and nutrients to maintain our energy levels, leading to an increase in sugar cravings.
- Eat more greens. Vegetables possess the nutrients necessary to help boost your energy without the need for sugars.
- Meditate. Stress contributes to the production of the hormone cortisol, which increases your blood sugar and leads to cravings. Reducing that stress by meditation can put you in the right state-of-mind to cut out sugar from your diet entirely.
For more information about dieting, contact our Harvey weight loss program experts and schedule your free consultation today. We also have locations in Covington, Metairie, and Prairieville.